It was 1883 when the Detroit Zoo first opened its doors at Michigan Avenue and Trumbull Street, across from what would become Tiger Stadium.
By 1928, the zoo had moved its current home at 10 Mile Road and Woodward Avenue. It's the No. 1 paid tourist attraction in Michigan, drawing more than 1.1 million visitors every year.
The zoo's mission has evolved since those early days, shifting from animal care to animal welfare. It's a leader in animal conservation and welfare.
Detroit Zoo Executive Director and Chief Executive Officer Ron Kagan gives us a closer look at the ways the zoo has become such a leader in protecting and preserving animal species.
Listen to the full interview above.