Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Take it from this "Trustafarian," these judgy maps are meant to make us laugh
- The new right-to-farm requirements and backyard animals
- Green goo growing in Lake Erie is not what you think it is
- Lawmakers vote to allow wolf hunts in UP
- Host A Prairie Home Companion 40th Anniversary Listening/Viewing Party
Mon March 31, 2014
Does the land of opportunity include gender equality?
We often talk about the U.S. as being the land of opportunity. This is the country where you can fulfill your dreams; that is certainly the view of America from many other countries. But is that view justified?
Here in Michigan, one in four kids lives in poverty. And are girls in Michigan really seen as equals to boys?
We may say, of course they are. But does that belief holdup to close scrutiny?
The BBC's Ros Atkins wanted to find out if there is anyplace in the world that girls and women are treated the same as boys and men.
He has produced a special hour-long documentary tracing the lives of four girls in four countries. It's called "All That Stands in the Way".
We get Atkins' perspective on this, and we bring in Dustin Dwyer from Michigan Radio's State of Opportunity project to look at how we talk about the American dream as this big grand idea – which may not work out that way in reality.
Listen to the full interview above.