Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
Fri February 24, 2012
E. coli cases in Michigan linked to sprouts in fast-food sandwiches
Michigan health officials are warning people not to eat raw clover sprouts, because they may be contaminated with E. coli bacteria.
The Michigan Department of Community Health says two people were hospitalized after eating the sprouts at sandwich shops in mid and southeast Michigan earlier this month.
Five other people became sick.
Health officials say two confirmed cases of E. coli in Michigan had the same genetic fingerprint as cases in other states. All were linked to raw clover sprouts eaten at Jimmy John’s restaurants.
E. Coli bacteria symptoms include acute diarrhea and abdominal cramps. The illness can last about a week.
It can be especially dangerous to young children, the elderly or people who are already ill or whose immune systems are compromised.
People who’ve eaten raw sprouts and have symptoms should contact their doctor and their local health department.