Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Scientists are looking for "survivor trees" in Michigan, and they want your help
- The Detroit Free Press endorsement shows our system of government is broken
- Snyder and Schauer both wrong; potential revenue lost to schools is a billion dollars a year
- Here's why so few people get flu shots
Tue July 5, 2011
Eliminating summer pell grant money
Undergraduate students won’t be able to rely on pell grant money for summer study starting next school year. The pell grant program provides students with funds that do not have to be repaid. Linda Grimshaw is with Financial Aid at University of Michigan-Flint. She says in 2009-2010, students could receive this additional pell grant funding for spring and summer study if they were enrolled in school at least half time.
"That’s only been in effect for two years so basically it did not impact students this current academic year."
Grimshaw also says it is hard to predict whether this elimination will affect student enrollment since cuts won’t start until next year.