Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Mon December 13, 2010
Flint breaks 25-year-old murder record
Just a day after tying a record set in 1986, Flint recorded its 62nd homicide of the year. The body of a man was found slumped over in a car parked on a city street.
At a news conference this morning, before the latest murder victim was found, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling blamed the spike in violence in his city on the loss of jobs.
“I cannot explain why a person chooses to take another person’s life. What we are coming to understand is when jobs move out, drugs move in. When you combine drugs and desperation you get crime and violence.”
Mayor Walling is asking for the community’s cooperation in helping get those responsible for crimes in the community off the streets.
Flint's budget woes