Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
Sat February 22, 2014
Flint schools require staff to pick up checks
FLINT, Mich. (AP) - There is no direct deposit this week for teachers and other employees in the Flint school district.
They were required to pick up their check in person Friday as the struggling district confirms that it's paying people who actually work. Spokesman Brian Smith tells The Flint Journal it's too early to know if any problems were uncovered.
He says there might be legitimate reasons for someone who didn't pick up a check.
Teacher John Peplinski says he supports any effort to ensure money is being spent properly. Flint schools must erase a $10 million deficit by 2018.