Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Wed February 27, 2013
Head Start is not a failure
The debate over federal spending cuts has made Head Start a major topic of conversation in Washington. Leaders from both parties warn that tens of thousands of kids will lose a chance at Head Start’s preschool program, if the across-the-board spending cuts are allowed to happen.
To some critics, cutting Head Start would be a good thing. They think it is a failure, and not worth the money.
To analyze the argument,we took a closer look at the study often used to criticize Head Start's effectiveness and visit a Head Start classroom in Grand Rapids.
Listen to the full story on our State of Opportunity page.