Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Proposal 1 asks Michigan voters to weigh in on a complex tax issue
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
Arts & Culture
Mon April 29, 2013
A hike along the Great Lakes
As we move into our middle years many of us yearn to do something to change things up in a big way.
Battle Creek's Loreen Niewenhuis took that question and really came up with something different: she got up from her desk, put on her hiking boots and started walking.
First Loreen walked around Lake Michigan.
Then she decided to walk over a thousand miles - hiking the shorelines of all five Great Lakes.
Her adventures are chronicled in her new book A One-Thousand-Mile Great Lakes Walk: One Woman's Trek Along the Shorelines of All Five Great Lakes published by Crickhollow Books.
Niewenhuis has taken off her hiking boots and joins us today on Stateside.
Listen to the full interview above.
The Environment Report