Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Arts & Culture
Mon April 29, 2013
A hike along the Great Lakes
As we move into our middle years many of us yearn to do something to change things up in a big way.
Battle Creek's Loreen Niewenhuis took that question and really came up with something different: she got up from her desk, put on her hiking boots and started walking.
First Loreen walked around Lake Michigan.
Then she decided to walk over a thousand miles - hiking the shorelines of all five Great Lakes.
Her adventures are chronicled in her new book A One-Thousand-Mile Great Lakes Walk: One Woman's Trek Along the Shorelines of All Five Great Lakes published by Crickhollow Books.
Niewenhuis has taken off her hiking boots and joins us today on Stateside.
Listen to the full interview above.
The Environment Report