Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Yo Yo Ma playing with Detroit kids might make your heart melt
Thu May 19, 2011
Hitting the road for Memorial Day weekend
AAA Michigan predicts state highways will be busy on Memorial Day. The automobile club’s survey shows one point one million Michiganders plan to travel during the 5 day holiday period, 91% by car.
Nancy Cain is a AAA spokeswoman. “People’s budgets are tight. But the holiday comes just once a year. Michigan’s summer tourism season is short. And Memorial Day weekend is the beginning of it. We do think, if the weather holds out, some folks might decide at the last minute to head out as well.”
Cain says nearly 4 dollar a gallon gasoline might not be discouraging travel, but she says Michiganders do plan to spend less on food and other things when they reach their destination.
Nationally, the AAA predicts more than 34 million Americas plan to travel during the five day Memorial Day holiday period that starts next Thursday.