Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Martin Luther King Jr.
Mon January 16, 2012
Honoring Dr. King by volunteering
Many people in Michigan are using this Martin Luther King Jr. holiday to volunteer.
In Lansing, volunteers are clearing invasive plant species from the Fenner Nature Center. Brendon Fegan is an Americorps volunteer. He says helping your local community is a great way to honor Dr. King’s legacy.
"Community is vitally important in people’s lives," said Fegan, "You can’t do anything without a strong community. Look for anyway to give back to your community and help other people.”
The King holiday is also being marked by marches and church services around Michigan.