Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Sun February 9, 2014
Killer describes escape from Michigan prison as `easy'
IONIA, Mich. (AP) - The convicted killer who escaped from a Michigan prison says it "was relatively simple."
Michael Elliot was discovered missing Sunday during an inmate count at the Ionia Correctional Facility, 30 miles east of Grand Rapids. The 40-year-old was arrested Monday in northwestern Indiana, driving a stolen vehicle.
The Detroit Free Press reports Elliot used his one phone call at the Indiana jail where he's being held on $1 million bond to discuss the escape with the newspaper.
Elliot says he dived into the snow, put on a white ski mask, crawled to a fence and went under it.
He says it took at least 30 minutes to escape and another hour to run to Ionia. He jumped in the snow every time he saw a car.