Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Mon July 28, 2014
Long-awaited Detroit streetcar project breaks ground
After a series of fits and starts, Detroit's M1 Rail project breaks ground today.
A short stretch of Woodward Avenue will be shut down today as construction gets underway.
The streetcar line will run 3.3 miles from downtown to New Center, and will have 12 stops.
More than a dozen private donors, led by Roger Penske, kicked in $100 million of the project's $140 million price tag.
The project's backers say it will help along the resurgence that's already underway in that part of the city.
Critics say money for transit would be much better spent on the city's aging bus system.
View the construction schedule here.