Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Environment & Science
Fri September 21, 2012
Michigan energy company withdraws gas drilling application
A Traverse City company is abandoning a nearly decade-long effort to extract natural gas in an environmentally sensitive area.
The U.S. Forest Service says that Savoy Energy has informed federal agencies it's withdrawing an application to drill below a site called the Mason Tract in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula.
Savoy wanted to drill an exploratory well using slant drilling techniques from nearby land in national forests. Environmental groups fought the drilling plan in court. A judge ordered a complete environmental impact study in 2009, which has not been completed.