Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
Environment & Science
Fri September 21, 2012
Michigan energy company withdraws gas drilling application
A Traverse City company is abandoning a nearly decade-long effort to extract natural gas in an environmentally sensitive area.
The U.S. Forest Service says that Savoy Energy has informed federal agencies it's withdrawing an application to drill below a site called the Mason Tract in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula.
Savoy wanted to drill an exploratory well using slant drilling techniques from nearby land in national forests. Environmental groups fought the drilling plan in court. A judge ordered a complete environmental impact study in 2009, which has not been completed.