Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Proposal 1 asks Michigan voters to weigh in on a complex tax issue
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
Fri November 5, 2010
In this morning's news...
Allegations Against Shirvell
Andrew Shirvell, an Assistant Attorney General in Michigan, faces professional allegations of conduct unbecoming of a state employee. The charges come after a blog that Shirvell created was discovered. The blog denounced openly-gay University of Michigan Student Body President Chris Armstrong. Shirvell also showed up at campus events that Armstrong attended and staked out Armstrong's house. Shirvell is expected to face a disciplinary hearing today.
Whitmer to Lead state Senate Dems
Democratic state Senator Gretchen Whitmer will be Michigan's next Senate Minority Leader. Whitmer's fellow Democratic Senators elected her to the position yesterday. She's the first woman to hold the job. Whitmer says she hopes Senate Republicans will work with her caucus.
Bridge Deal Dead
It appears a deal to build a second bridge from Detroit to Canada isn't going anywhere at the state Capitol, Laura Weber reports. Governor Granholm was hoping to resolve the issue before leaving the Governor's office but, Republican Senate Majority Leader Mike Bishop says he doesn't want to force a deal before the end of the year.
Sparky Anderson Dies
Sparky Anderson, former manager of the Detroit Tigers, has died. A family spokesman says Anderson died at his home in California from complications from dementia. Anderson managed the Tigers from 1979 to 1995. He was 76. The Detroit Free Press has a nice list of things we'll remember about Anderson.