Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Mon August 15, 2011
New federal mandate requires online aid estimators for colleges
A new federal mandate could make it easier for families to budget for college. Net price calculators will be required by all colleges and universities starting October 29th. At a minimum, net costs are based on a student’s income, how big their family is and their dependency status.
"It just allows a student to make a real, realistic comparison as to what the net price will be at one school versus another school," Williams said.
"The more information that we can make available to families about the availability of financial aid, the better it is," she said.
Schools can use their own system or the generic calculator provided by the federal government.
- Amelia Carpenter - Michigan Radio Newsroom