Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Environment & Science
Thu September 6, 2012
Operators of Palisades nuclear power plant to hold open house
The Palisades nuclear power plant is hosting an open house tonight in South Haven. It’s a rare opportunity for people to ask detailed questions about the plant.
It’s impractical to host the open house at the plant because of security reasons. Instead, it’ll take place at the same conference center where the Nuclear Regulatory Commission has held a number of public hearings this year about the plant’s poor safety rating. In fact, the NRC will host a public meeting next week at the same place to discuss those safety concerns in detail.
Palisades spokesman Mark Savage says the open house tonight will be informal… kind of like a science fair.
"We’ll have tabletop discussions about the variety of things that historically get brought up at these public meetings, and so the general public is invited 'round the area here to come and see our wares."
This is first time Palisades has hosted an open house since Entergy Corporation bought the plant from Consumers Energy back in 2007.
The Palisades open house will be held from 6 - 8pm tonight at the Beach Haven Event Center: 10420 M-140 Highway in South Haven