Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Charter school supporters’ response to investigations is "Soviet" in style
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Protests Monday night against migrant children coming to Michigan
- This Michigan-bred musician did zero out of 29 celebrity impressions. I was punked.
- Study finds that an oil spill under Mackinac Straits would be “deathblow” to Northern Michigan
Mon June 20, 2011
'Pure Michigan' to sponsor NASCAR race
The state’s popular Pure Michigan tourism campaign is headed to the race track this summer.
Pure Michigan will sponsor its first NASCAR race at the Michigan International Speedway. It will be billed as the Pure Michigan 400. ESPN will be broadcast the race nationwide and run Pure Michigan ads during the event.
George Zimmerman, vice president of Travel Michigan, says while the NASCAR demographic is "a slightly different audience than our typical target," he feels there's a lot of overlap between what racing fans are interested in and what Michigan has to offer - like fishing and golf.
Zimmerman called the sponsorship a “one-time deal.”
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation, which houses Pure Michigan, paid $975,000 to sponsor the race. The race takes place August 21st.