Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- What explains Michigan's large Arab American community?
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Mon June 20, 2011
'Pure Michigan' to sponsor NASCAR race
The state’s popular Pure Michigan tourism campaign is headed to the race track this summer.
Pure Michigan will sponsor its first NASCAR race at the Michigan International Speedway. It will be billed as the Pure Michigan 400. ESPN will be broadcast the race nationwide and run Pure Michigan ads during the event.
George Zimmerman, vice president of Travel Michigan, says while the NASCAR demographic is "a slightly different audience than our typical target," he feels there's a lot of overlap between what racing fans are interested in and what Michigan has to offer - like fishing and golf.
Zimmerman called the sponsorship a “one-time deal.”
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation, which houses Pure Michigan, paid $975,000 to sponsor the race. The race takes place August 21st.