Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Bill to pull the plug on telephone landlines clears Michigan Legislature
- How one Michigan church is changing its views on gay marriage
- Records may fall with the snow this week in Michigan
- This supplemental bill gravely endangers infant health and Michigan's future
- Join Michigan Radio for Issues & Ale: Closing the digital divide in education
Mon June 20, 2011
'Pure Michigan' to sponsor NASCAR race
The state’s popular Pure Michigan tourism campaign is headed to the race track this summer.
Pure Michigan will sponsor its first NASCAR race at the Michigan International Speedway. It will be billed as the Pure Michigan 400. ESPN will be broadcast the race nationwide and run Pure Michigan ads during the event.
George Zimmerman, vice president of Travel Michigan, says while the NASCAR demographic is "a slightly different audience than our typical target," he feels there's a lot of overlap between what racing fans are interested in and what Michigan has to offer - like fishing and golf.
Zimmerman called the sponsorship a “one-time deal.”
The Michigan Economic Development Corporation, which houses Pure Michigan, paid $975,000 to sponsor the race. The race takes place August 21st.