Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
Fri October 21, 2011
Recall petition filed against Wayne County Executive Ficano
Troubles are mounting for Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano. A federal investigation and a recall effort are now under way.
An outcry over a 200-thousand-dollar payout given to Wayne County’s former development director is being investigated by the FBI, which served subpoenas this week asking for information about Turkia Mullin’s severance pay.
On Thursday, Ficano ended severance payments for all political appointees.
But Wayne County Commissioner Bernard Parker said there are still unanswered questions about the commission’s responsibilities:
"Do we have anything to do with the contracts for personnel? The administration says no," Parker said. "We think we should. Should all contracts come to us to be approved? Again, there’s a difference on that.”
Former federal prosecutor Richard Convertino is leading the effort to recall Ficano.
Convertino, an attorney from Plymouth, represents a man who filed a whistleblower suit against Wayne County.