Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- There's a tick boom in Michigan - Here are 5 things you should know
- Students aren’t leaving Michigan football - Michigan football is leaving them
- The 6 most dangerous neighborhoods in Michigan
- The 15 Michigan schools running the biggest deficits
- You need to see these photos of the pet coke piles in Detroit
Mon January 31, 2011
Saline wins "Snowman Building Champion of the Free World" trophy
Looking at the photos... they don't really look like snowmen - more like snowbots, but I guess that's the kind of quality you can expect when the goal is quantity.
The cities of Zeeland, St. Clair and Saline took part in a snowman building contest over the weekend.
As Michigan Radio's Lindsey Smith reported, the goal of the contest was to see who could build the most snowmen (at least 4ft. tall) in a 2 hour period with 50 volunteers.
The volunteers employed garbage cans, pickle buckets, and Pam cooking spray to help them churn the snow creatures out.
The city of Saline came out on top winning the soon-to-be coveted, wood-carved trophy known as "Frosty."
Here are the final tallies:
1st Place - Saline with 483 snowmen like creatures
2nd place - Zeeland with 268
3rd place - St. Clair with 113
St. Clair Downtown Development Director Dan Lockwood blamed their poor showing on "terrible packing snow."
The Grand Rapids Press has several photos of the contest as it took place in Zeeland.
You be the judge, do they need to tighten up their definition of a snowman? Or should snowbots count?