Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- If Arizona's bill to discriminate surprises you, you won't believe what's legal in Michigan
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Watch a time-lapse video of the ice forming on the Great Lakes
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
Fri September 23, 2011
Scott gets support against recall from Michigan Chamber of Commerce
State Representative Paul Scott is getting help in his recall fight from the Michigan Chamber of Commerce.
Scott is a two-term Grand Blanc Republican who chairs the House Education Committee.
A group backed by the state’s largest teachers’ union wants to remove him from office because he supported cuts to schools and a law that makes it easier to fire teachers.
Now Scott has a powerful ally.
Jim Holcomb is an attorney with the nearly 8,000-member Michigan Chamber of Commerce.
“Our members have told us clearly that they believe recalls should be used for serious issues of misconduct, malfeasance – that on an issue where you have a disagreement on policy, that’s what general elections are for," Holcomb says.
Holcomb says he doesn’t know how much the Chamber of Commerce has spent so far to fight Scott’s recall.
He says the Chamber’s members include small, medium and large businesses in all 83 Michigan counties.