Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- An MSU physicist believes he has solved the "black hole information paradox"
- What you can do to help Michigan's bats
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Biologists expect the worst for Michigan's bat population
- Join the Great Michigan Read story-writing contest
Thu December 9, 2010
With 180 invaders already in the Great Lakes, it might take a superhero to keep them out. Luckily, we have one: Sooper Yooper! A new children's book written by Mark Newman and illustrated by the late Mark Heckman, features Billy Cooper, an ex-Navy Seal who lives in the U.P. with his scuba-diving bulldog, Mighty Mac. I spoke with Mark Heckman's wife, Diane, and author Mark Newman about the book and Mark Heckman's legacy.
Top 3 Things to Know about Sooper Yooper:
- A dive in icy Lake Superior to catch a sea lamprey is not for the faint of heart. Please leave this to the professionals.
- Billy Cooper is not a shapeshifter, nor does he have x-ray vision or invisibility. Instead, he's super smart.
- Having trouble getting legislation passed in Congress? No problem for Sooper Yooper. He must have some mighty good lobbying skills.
Diane Heckman says her husband always admired people from the U.P.