Suit to halt Detroit emergency manager appointment dismissed
LANSING, Mich. (AP) - A lawsuit seeking to block the appointment of Detroit emergency manager Kevyn Orr has been dismissed.
Activist Robert Davis said Monday that the lawsuit became "moot" when a Lansing Circuit Court judge refused last month to hold a hearing before Orr's hiring by the state's Emergency Loan Board.
Davis says both parties stipulated that the suit be dismissed "based on a pending case" before another judge to invalidate Orr's appointment.
Davis heads Citizens United Against Corrupt Government which sued March 8, saying Gov. Rick Snyder was unlawfully recruiting and interviewing candidates for the emergency manager job.
Assistant Attorney General Margaret Nelson says the group waited too long to sue.
Orr's was hired March 14. His job is to fix Detroit's finances, which include a $327 million budget deficit.