Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- No, Chinese investors aren't 'buying up Detroit' – but they do have an eye on the Motor City
- The average Michigan family needs $52,330 a year to 'make ends meet'
- Here are our 10 favorite photos of what your winter looks like
- What all the snow and ice will mean for Great Lakes water levels
- Michigan's Attorney General is risking his political future over the gay marriage case
Mon June 3, 2013
Third-annual Detroit retail contest opens today
If you have a great idea for new retail in the city of Detroit, now is the time to make your pitch. You could win a $50,000 pot of money to help you do it.
This is the third year Hatch Detroit is holding the contest for new retail ideas. Entries are being accepted today through July 13.
Joe Posch won the contest in 2011. Last November, he opened Hugh - his "classic bachelor pad" shop on Cass Avenue.
"We've got lighters and some smoking accessories, some cigar accessories,” says Posch. “And then we've got men's classic grooming - shaving brushes, shaving soaps."
Hugh also carries furniture, housewares and vintage items.
Last year's winner was a Spanish tapas restaurant. La Feria is slated to open this summer.
This year's winner will be announced at the end of August.