Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Take it from this "Trustafarian," these judgy maps are meant to make us laugh
- Green goo growing in Lake Erie is not what you think it is
- The new right-to-farm requirements and backyard animals
- Lawmakers vote to allow wolf hunts in UP
- Workers in Minnesota see wage gains, while workers in Michigan see steady wage losses
Politics & Government
Thu December 19, 2013
Time running out to extend federal jobless benefits
Time is running out for more than 43 thousand Michiganders whose federal unemployment benefits are set to expire next week.
Jobless benefits were extended for the long-term unemployed during the recession.
Unless Congress passes another extension, the benefits will end December 28th.
Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow is among those pushing for an extension.
“We have tens of thousands of people in Michigan that are going to lose their help right after Christmas,” says Stabenow, “That’s shameful. There’s no reason for it.”
Yesterday, the state of Michigan sent letters to thousands of Michiganders set to lose their federal jobless benefits. The letter outlines state programs to help them with food, health care and foreclosure assistance.