Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
Politics & Government
Thu December 19, 2013
Time running out to extend federal jobless benefits
Time is running out for more than 43 thousand Michiganders whose federal unemployment benefits are set to expire next week.
Jobless benefits were extended for the long-term unemployed during the recession.
Unless Congress passes another extension, the benefits will end December 28th.
Michigan Senator Debbie Stabenow is among those pushing for an extension.
“We have tens of thousands of people in Michigan that are going to lose their help right after Christmas,” says Stabenow, “That’s shameful. There’s no reason for it.”
Yesterday, the state of Michigan sent letters to thousands of Michiganders set to lose their federal jobless benefits. The letter outlines state programs to help them with food, health care and foreclosure assistance.