Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- Some think their immigrant ancestors were the last that should be allowed in the U.S.
- Michigan Republican Party's tactics remind me of Watergate, because both were unnecessary
Mon March 26, 2012
Trayvon Martin rally set for Michigan State Capitol Building
Organizers of a rally to protest the shooting death of a Florida teenager hope to attract a few thousand people to the steps of Michigan’s state capitol Tuesday afternoon.
Trayvon Martin was shot and killed a month ago, in an incident which has raised questions about race and self-defense.
O.D. Harris is organizing the rally at the state capitol. He hopes the rally will help end tragedies rooted in ‘stereotyping’.
“We stereotype people based on what their attire is," says Harris, "I don’t want to make it a race thing…we stereotype people based on their names… we stereotype people based on all types of reasons… and we have to stop that.”
Similar protests took place in Kalamazoo, Flint and a handful of other Michigan cities on Monday.
03/27/12 TRAYVON capitolrally sgc/vd
Organizers expect a couple thousand people will rally on the steps of Michigan’s
state capitol later today (Tuesday) to protest the shooting death of a Florida
Trayvon (trey-vohn) Martin was shot and killed in an incident a month ago….
and the killing has raised questions about self-defense…and race.
O.D. Harris is organizing the rally at the state capitol.
He says Trayvon Martin’s death is an example of what happens when people
believe in ‘stereotypes’….
ENCO # HARRIS hoodie 2 “stereotyping.” :07
“Trayvon Martin could be me…could be you…it could be anyone of us. We should not be stereotyping.”
Similar protests took place in Flint…Kalamazoo and several other Michigan
cities on Monday.