Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Yo Yo Ma playing with Detroit kids might make your heart melt
Politics & Government
Wed November 7, 2012
Troy mayor recalled
Janice Daniels had been Troy’s mayor for just a year.
She was strongly aligned with the Tea Party movement.
And she quickly became embroiled in controversy for using anti-gay slurs, and fighting a federally-funded transit center.
So a citizen group launched a recall campaign. And it’s succeeded, with about 52-percent of Troy voters saying yes.
Troy’s current Council President Pro-Tem will serve as acting mayor.
The Council will then appoint a new mayor within 30 days. A new mayoral election will be held next November.