Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- "A sad day" for Michigan bats: White-nose syndrome found in 3 counties
- This is doing more damage to Detroit than a hundred drug murders could have
- Power shift at Kendall College causing a stir
- This is what it sounds like when a neighborhood church closes
- Yo Yo Ma playing with Detroit kids might make your heart melt
Thu May 16, 2013
Two big jackpots stoking lottery fever in Michigan
Michigan lottery players are dreaming of winning two huge jackpots these days.
More than 700 million dollars is on the line in this weekend’s Powerball and Mega Millions drawings.
Andi Brancato is the spokeswoman for the Michigan Lottery. She says the two big jackpots are pushing lottery ticket sales.
“Maybe you have regular Mega Millions players who think ‘Gee, maybe I’ll get a Powerball ticket as well’,” says Brancato, “and vice versa with the Powerball players.”
The Powerball jackpot is $550 million, close to its record high. The top two all-time jackpots ($656 million from a Mega Millions jackpot and $587.5 million from a Powerball jackpot) came in 2012.
The Mega Millions drawing takes place Friday evening. Powerball players will have to wait for Saturday to see if they’re a big winner.
Proceeds from the Michigan Lottery’s cut of Mega Millions and Powerball ticket sales goes to the state School Aid Fund.
Politics & Culture
Politics & Government