Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- Proposal 1 asks Michigan voters to weigh in on a complex tax issue
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
Wed January 12, 2011
UM introduces Brady Hoke, new head football coach
The University of Michigan's athletic department held a press conference to introduce the program's new head football coach, Brady Hoke.
David Brandon says he spent a lot of time in the past few days crisscrossing the country interviewing coaches. He said he spent hours interviewing coaches saying despite what is often reported in the press, "all that glitters is not gold."
Brandon introduced Hoke saying he's "a player's coach" and said he's someone who knows Ann Arbor and someone who loves the University of Michigan.
Brandon said Hoke didn't ask about pay when he accepted the job, and the only other coach he knows who didn't ask about pay was Bo Schembechler.
Some quotes from Brady Hoke during the press conference:
"We will always be about the team at Michigan"
"This is not about Brady Hoke. This is about Michigan."
"Character wins in life, and character wins in football."
"Football is a tough man's game."
"We are a team that will compete with a high degree of effort."
"We're going to respect the tradition of the University of Michigan and its football program."
"We're going to work hard for the kids in this program, and we're going to work hard for the University of Michigan."
Hoke choked up when he thanked the players he's touched as a coach over the years. Many former players showed up for the press conference introducing the new head coach.
Michigan Radio's Steve Carmody will have more on today's press conference.