Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Take it from this "Trustafarian," these judgy maps are meant to make us laugh
- Green goo growing in Lake Erie is not what you think it is
- The new right-to-farm requirements and backyard animals
- Lawmakers vote to allow wolf hunts in UP
- Host A Prairie Home Companion 40th Anniversary Listening/Viewing Party
Thu April 12, 2012
"Underwear bomber" Abdulmutallab moved to Supermax prison
Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the "underwear bomber" who was sentenced to life in prison for trying to blow up a Detroit-bound flight on Christmas Day 2009, has been moved to a Supermax prison in Colorado.
More from the Detroit News:
The maximum-security prison in Florence, Colo., 90 miles south of Denver, has about 430 inmates.
Abdulmutallab's fellow inmates include Unabomber and University of Michigan graduate Ted Kaczynski and Oklahoma City bombing conspirator Terry Nichols, a Lapeer native.
At the Supermax facility, some inmates, including terrorists, are assigned to a unit where they are locked in cells 23 hours a day. Those inmates are allowed one hour of recreation a day in a yard secluded from other prisoners, said Joe Gunja, a former warden at the prison complex.