Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- 8 Mile Road is eight miles from where?
- Sure, there were pirates in the Caribbean, but the Great Lakes had them too
- Some in Ann Arbor have "cultural" concerns about annexing Whitmore Lake
- Has public education funding gone up or down under Gov. Snyder's watch?
- Analyzing Sunday's debate between Governor Rick Snyder and Democratic challenger, Mark Schauer
Sat July 19, 2014
U.S. commerce secretary praises Michigan during forum
BENTON HARBOR, Mich. (AP) - U.S. Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker says Michigan is "on a roll."
Pritzker spoke Friday in Benton Harbor at the North American headquarters of Whirlpool. The forum attracted executives from Whirlpool, Dow Chemical, Stryker, Steelcase, Gentex and many other Michigan-based companies.
The Herald-Palladium reports that Pritzker said Michigan has great leaders in business, government and higher education.
Whirlpool Chief Executive Jeff Fettig says companies must reinvent themselves every five years. He says, "You do have to draw the box, but within the box anything goes."
Pritzker says the Obama administration is putting much emphasis on jobs in manufacturing. She says the perception of manufacturing as "dark and dangerous" must change.