Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Don't like the water shut-offs in Detroit? Now you can pay someone's overdue water bill
- Proposal 1 asks Michigan voters to weigh in on a complex tax issue
- Approaching construction on the highway? Experts say the "zipper merge" can help
- This ballot proposal is critical to Michigan's economy, but most people won't bother to vote on it
- These three female candidates could be some of the most interesting leaders in Michigan
Fri May 9, 2014
Why do you stay in Michigan? #whyIstay
A recent Gallup poll found that 37% of people in Michigan would rather live somewhere else. But only 11% of those polled were "extremely likely or somewhat likely" to move in the next 12 months.
So that sparked a question: Why do people stay in Michigan?
Why do you stay?
Is it Lake Michigan? (Maybe.) Your family? Your job that you love? The Lions? (doubtful...)
Whatever your reason, share it with others.
Take a picture that captures why you stay in Michigan, and share it on Instagram or Twitter. And remember your words are as important as your picture. Use the hashtag #whyistay in your caption, and let folks know what your photo represents and where it was taken.
Here's some inspiration for you. Michigan Radio's Mark Brush shared what keeps him in Michigan:
My kids love their cousins. And all the cousins have great adventures around the Great Lakes. That's #whyIstay
Michigan Radio isn't the only station asking for your input.
You can follow our partners at WBUR (Boston), WESA (Pittsburgh), St. Louis Public Radio, West Virginia Public Radio, KUOW (Seattle), WNYC (New York), KQED (SanFrancisco), WLRN (Miami), and KTOO (Juneau) that are also asking their audience to share their photos and thoughts.
If you don't know what Instagram or Twitter are and still want to contribute, that's great too.
Send your captioned photo to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll share it out for you.
You can follow what folks are posting around the country and in Michigan below:
- Lucy Perkins & Mark Brush, Michigan Radio Newsroom