1948: WUOM goes on the air July 5, 1948 from studios in Angell Hall on the University of Michigan campus, broadcasting 20 hours per week, monaural, at 44,000 watts. Among the early programs were Prof. Preston Slosson's commentary on the news, Prof. Warren Good's "Record Collector", and "Hymns of Faith". The policy of originating play-by-play broadcasts of University football games for pick-up by a network of Michigan stations was established.
1949: WUOM moves into new studios and offices of the Administration Building occupying the entire fifth floor, becoming one of the most elaborate educational broadcasting plants in existence. The station originates its' first broadcast of Michigan football, with play-by-play from station sports director Bill Fleming. The first broadcast of Handel's Messiah was made from Hill Auditorium.
• View the WUOM program schedule from September, 1949 (PDF)
1950: Official dedication of WUOM. The station joins National Association of Educational Broadcasters and exchanges taped programs with other educational stations throughout the country.
• View information from the station dedication (PDF)